Sunday, December 16, 2012

Singing Sand Dunes

Rachel is posting this same story, but I feel like giving my take on it anyway. We went to the singing sand dunes, to this sand dune specifically, for our ward Christmas party. The drive there was all on paved roads until about the last 600m, which were all off-road on hard packed earth strewn with rocks up to about the size of a loaf of bread or a basketball. I think that accurately describes most of Qatar's terrain.



Fortunately, our van had high enough clearance, so we made it into the lee of the dune and started exploring. There were broken glass and garbage and rusty nails and tiny thorn bushes scattered amongst the rocks, so we headed straight for the sand. Elliott immediately kicked off his shoes and sat down to play with some sand toys another kid had brought.


Meanwhile, I kicked off my shoes and headed up the dune because I've never been on a sand dune before. It was about as tough to climb as I expected, but a lot easier when I skittered up like a crab on my hands and feet rather than standing straight up and down.
And now, Elliott will tell you about the sand dunes: nbnlvdsndvm,cxvnmv≈çµ√ç≈µ≤ç√≈˜˚¬.zvnk;dzbj;
kufrgkuwehguvewbfegwyfewyvgvewt3s1tb1tyvefsieegy43t43 3cdjfyotu3q44eyyyyyy54yh3fwuhrgrsjgkersukfvgggfyiessgersg..e,fe s gfq2tfr365q34ff3r3w76q3tq3tfr3fqrgfewgk3iof vygiv3qgvglgq3vi3qgy3frewgvewkgvjfvkfvbhvewgyewhg
This is what he types when he types the way mommy and daddy do.

Here was my first go down the dune. I'd been told before that it doesn't hurt a bit, no matter how you fling yourself down, and I was eager to test that.
Next Rachel and Elliott climbed up and scooted down. They got the dune singing -- or more accurately humming like a large propeller-driven plane off in the distance.


Then we all went up and had our family photo taken, as well as some nice shots of scenery to remember it by.















Of course, they don't really do it justice, but it was pretty spectacular. We played some more, up and down the dunes, then talked with friends, ate a potluck dinner after dark, and enjoyed feeling chilly for the first time since we got here. It was great to warm up around the bonfire, too. Once the marshmallows came out for roasting, we finally started singing some carols. About that time, Elliott decided he wanted to climb the dune and see the stars (another first in Doha), so he and I climbed up and sat on the dune and sang carols together along with the ward members far below. The Spanish-speakers among us sang Feliz Navidad first, then the Nigerians in our ward sang one of their songs for us. Next we moved into some of the bouncier Christmas songs, and finished off with Silent Night. We all went home worn out and happy. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot believe the experiences you are having! I am almost jealous!

tpmotd said...

Well, be sure to make a to-do list for when you come visit, and we'll pack all the good stuff into one week for you. :)

heather said...

That sounds amazing! How does the humming work?

tpmotd said...

Here's one exploration, but no real answer: http://www.agu.org/news/press/pr_archives/2012/2012-47.shtml
And of course Wikipedia has something to say about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing_sand

But as a girl I once dated told me (after I answered scientifically her question about how birds stay so close together in flocks without colliding), the correct answer is "Magic."

D said...

really gorgeous pictures
lesli

Deb said...

Awesome trip! I love the photo with you all at the top and the one with Rach where the sun looks huge! And of course the video of you flinging yourself down the dune made me chuckle too.