Friday, January 04, 2013

Goodreads

I finally made an effort to rate all the books I've ever read on Goodreads this evening. I'm sure I haven't remembered all of them, but I went from about 75 I'd rated before to around 400 now. I didn't include any of the textbooks I've read, though maybe I should have. I've never had so many forgotten memories come flooding back as I did during that process of trying to remember the books. They weren't just memories of the books, either, but of what was going on in my life when I read them. It was a great experience. In the process, I discovered that you can export your book list to Excel, and it will include all the data they have on each book, including page counts. So I totalled up my page count for those approximately 400 books, and it was 118,558 pages, or about 10.4 pages per day since I was born (incidentally, around Big E's birthday this year, I will have been alive for a billion seconds). Naturally, that doesn't account for books I've read more than once, or for the probably millions of pages of text I've read on websites I've visited. And I'm sure many of you have read far more than that. But that's not the point. I just thought I'd share the fun fact that you can at least get a close estimate of how many book pages you've read using Goodreads and a spreadsheet formula. Go to the My Books page, and click import/export at the left, then export at the top right. Then post your stats in the comments if you like!

1 comment:

CarthageMOJrHigh said...

very cool. I am going to share this with my book club.