Friday, April 03, 2015

Back pain is back pain, no matter where you are in the world

I threw out my back the other day. I was trying to get Lydia's car seat out of the car the day after I had spent my whole evening carrying the other children over my shoulder and running around the playground with them. We were playing prison escape. I was the prison keeper, and the kids would escape from the play structure that I kept them in as a prison and I would make a show of getting irritated with them when they escaped, chasing them in a grumpy voice, calling them back to the prison. Of course they loved it. Then when I tried to take out Lydia's car seat, I was also tense and been sitting all day, so that probably didn't help it.
So for the last two afternoons and evenings I've been laying on the couch trying not to move much. I don't think that it's a herniated disc. There's none of the nerve pain that I think comes with a herniated disc. And with the heating pad and some ibuprofen I've regained some range of motion. But it doesn't feel like the pain has decreased significantly. Rachel has been amazing, doing most of the work that the two of us would normally do, since I can do anything that doesn't involve carrying or bending over. Unfortunately, that means that she is the one who ends up hauling Lydia around all afternoon and evening when I normally would be the one doing that.
And here are two more recent pictures: one of them is me standing in front of a science expiration museum in Orlando Florida, where I was sent to attend a training. The other is Lydia asleep on my lap during church one day.


1 comment:

heather said...

I love the sleeping baby! I hope your back feels better soon. If you want me to email you some tips and exercises that have helped me stay pain-free for the last year, I'd be happy to. If not, I offer my sincere empathy and sympathy. I've been there and it stinks. Lots of love to Rachel, too as she fills in.